Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Classic 1980s Saturday Night Live Skit, The Eggshell Family With Steve Martin, Martin Short And Jan Hooks

 Here is a classic SNL skit from the 1980s called 'The Eggshell Family'. Its from the sixth episode of season 12. It's about a family that is neurotic and extremely sensitive to the point that the family cannot function or even communicate with each other.

The 1980s was the golden age for Saturday Night Live in my opinion. I know many people believe the 1970s were the best years for good SNL skits but I am a 80s and 90s child so I love these two decades the most.

That being said this is not one of my favorite classic SNL sketches. It's just not that funny. I generally love Steve Martin, he was great in many of of his appearances on the show over the years. The guy is in a very exclusive club having hosted SNL 15 times as of this posting. I love his stand up as well as his many comedy blockbusters. The Jerk is one of my favorite funny movies.

Maybe it was the writers fault, or maybe I just don't know good comedy but I never really liked this one very much. Martin Short was also in this as one of the male sons of the oversensative father played by Steve Martin. Short has always been hit or miss with me when it comes to his SNL work. Jan Hooks who I have also enjoyed in other skits plays the mother. I sure wouldn't have any problems communicating with her if she were my mom if you know what I mean.

All in all this comedy sketch is average at best but because I love Steve Martin I will probably end up posting all of his Saturday Night Live appearances on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment